Saturday, September 25, 2021

Father & Son game

 My clubs voted on playing Paleo Diet Eat or be Eaten for our September game. Unfortunately the only members who could make it were my son Thomas and myself. We ended up just having a good father and son game together. 

I set up the terrain and then let Thomas pick what animals, their numbers, and distribution we'd be facing. 

He put a small pack of wolves in a thicket of trees.
A small flock of Terror Birds with a nest (I ended up changing it to 1 instead of 3).
A Cave Bear prowling the hill top.
A young Mastodon drinking from the marsh and a small heard of Antelope in the central clearing.
Prepping the game aids.
I selected a hunting party of 8, 4 with clubs and 4 with spears. I then let Thomas pick 2 from the spear group and 2 from the club group to make up his party. I took the remaining 4. 
Thomas's hunters started in the center of his side, between the hill and the woods with wolves. This put him in close proximity to all 3 of the predator groups on the table.
I split my part in half and spread them out. This way I could coral the Antelopes if they started to flee. 
Thomas cautiously snuck up behind the Mastodon while I approached the small herd of Antelope from 2 sides.

The Antelope got spooked by one of my groups and began wandering off.
Thomas tried to stab the Mastodon in the rear but it just got annoyed and maid a loud trumpeting causing his hunters to slink back in fear.

However his huntress was not deterred and made another attempt. This time the large beast took a wound. It tried to flee but got bogged down in the...bog. 
He was quite happy to get first blood.
I continued to pursue the Antelope but just drove them towards Thomas's hunters.
Thomas made another attempt on the Mastadon but this time he just pissed it off and it turned on his huntress. Luckily she nimbly dodge the swinging tusks and trunk. A follow up attack by one of the club armed hunters resulted in a wound for the hunter.
Thomas then got a bit of luck by slaying one of the Antelope I had driven his way. This gave us our first to bulk of meat (needed 8 for a successful hunt).
I followed up his success by downing a second Antelope, but not before it managed to gore one of my hunters.
A few turns later I had managed to get a second hunter wounded while supporting Thomas going after the Mastodon. Then the beast panicked and tried to flee from the hunters on hemming it in. In its flight it ran into my huntress and gave her a nasty wound.

Shortly after I was able to put a second wound on the Mastodon and then Thomas's huntress brought it down with 2 more successful attacks. She was able to do it by resisting the fear inducing trumpeting and dodging any attacks back her way. We managed to get our 8 bulk food quota to feed the tribe but half of our party was wounded. Fortunately none of our hunters were killed.
Thomas was gushing about how much braver his huntress was then the other hunters, even though she does not look as tough. He insisted I take a solo shot of her up on the cliffs to honor her accomplishment.


1 comment:

Nigel Gibson said...

Absolutely brilliant read. I am more than a bit jealous last Yule that my lads were over from Aotearoa/NZ I had Palaeo set up and ready to go and all we played was Whitebox [1974] D N 'D and First Ed Saga ! My eldest did play DBA1 for old times sake.
All the very besy to you both. N