Monday, May 27, 2013

Norman Castle and Priory

So for Memorial Day my wife and I went to see the ruins of a Norman Castle, Medieval town, and Priory known as Castle Acre.
 The castle was founded soon after the Norman Conquest of 1066 by William de Warenne, the first Earl of Surrey, as his most important estate in Norfolk. The settlement is strategically placed where the ancient track way known as the Peddar’s Way crossed the River Nar. To the west of the castle was a planned town; the whole settlement was fortified.

The Castle

 Artist rendition of what the castle may have looked like at its peak.

Aerial photo of the castle ruins.















The original gate to the walled town


The Priory



















2 comments:

Mitch K said...

I thought I recognised the place! I used to live about 15 miles from there. When you start scaling them out as you walk the ruins, you start to realise you need a BIG table, don't you?

racm32 said...

Yeah, if I was ever to make it for a game I'd probably only do a section.