Saturday, March 18, 2023

Realistic 28mm Tree Tutorial.

 So one thing missing from most the terrain setups I do in 28mm have been nice trees. So I finally put in some real effort to make nice trees. Here is how I did it with some of the key components. 

First I gathered twigs from bushes around that looked like they had a nice shape. 

Second I baked them in the oven for an hour to kill off any pests and to dry out the twigs.

Third I trimmed them down to the right size and glued the trimmings back on for a more full look. and glued them to a big magnet on an MDF base. Magnets are off amazon and bases are from blotz.




Forth step was spreading mat Mod Podge over the entire twig surface to seal it and help strengthen them. and securing the base with milliput.
Fifth, after glue dries I applied my preferred terrain base texture and painted it.


Sixth step its to apply the coconut fiber (from amazon). This is tricky and messy. I started by applying mod podge the a section of limb then pulling a clump of fiber, shaping it, and half sticking half wrapping around the chosen spot. After I have applied it to all the spots I want foliage I let the glue dry and then trip down all the fibers sticking out wiled. 



Seventh step was to spray all the fiber with a brown spray paint. This makes it darker so bare spots wont be as visible and helps get it to stick together and to the twig better.

Step eight is applying clump foliage. For this I would spray the sides and top of one area with adhesive until its frosted (make sure to use one that dries clear). Then pull small bits of clump foliage and press it into the glue firmly (for good contact and to get the fibers to stick together). Do this on all sides and tops of the coco fiber. I used Woodland Scenics Bushes as they offer good texture and coverage. 






Ninth, I give it another dusting of spray glue and then sprinkle these scale leaves I found on amazon. I find they help gives the tree a good sense of scale and a familiar texture. I mix the 2 greens together and the red and yellow together. then took some from each to mix in the other. The predominantly green batch goes on the tree and the others go on the base. 




Finally I liberally spray watered down Mod Podge all over the canopy to help seal it all. Place it somewhere to dry with lots of space underneath as bits of foliage will drop over the next day. Save this and reapply with mod podge or super glue. For the base I use static grass and the dead leaves. For the grass I try and leave it bare on spots that would predominantly shadows. 




A wide base will help with stability and the powerful magnet can assist with transportation or in table stability.

I have only made 2 of these so far but I love how they look. Time will tell how well they hold up on the table and how playable they are.


No comments: