Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Old Growth Forest WIP

 For my French and Indian War games I have been unsatisfied with the quality of forest I can put on the table. So for the F&IW and earlier I will be making an Old Growth Forest. One thing I dont do enough when I embark on a terrain project is planning. I'll often to some research on what it should look like but not laying it out before hand. To get this project right I'll spend some time working on a plan, mostly focusing on a template for the layout.

First I gathered some reference photos with a google search.







Next I gathered information about the structure of an Old Growth Forest.




I then gathered up the trees I had printed up in 2019-2020


I took 4 pieces of A4 paper and taped them together to make a big sheet. Then I took some time to arrange the trees in a way that would look good but be playable. When I settled on a layout I traced the position of each tree then worked out where the shape of the base and of the removeable canopy. 






The next step will be to cut the triangular shape out of MDF. The canopy shape will be cut out of 2in foam insolation and then flocked with clump foliage.



No comments: