Saturday, January 29, 2022

Anglo-Saxon Army Update

 Felt like setting out the entire Anglo-Saxon army for a progress update. This time though I set it up on my Killing Fields Battle Mat and got some Normans out for some more interesting shots.

Here is the entire army as I have built it. 3 Divisions consisting of 4 infantry units, 1 command base, and 1 or 2 skirmish units. As they are set up here the 2 flanking divisions are identical. They have 2 units of armored Thagens with long spears, 2 units of unarmored Carols with long spears, 1 unit of bow skirmishers and 1 of javelins. The middle division has 2 units of armored Hauscarls with Dane Axes, 2 units of unarmored Carols with long spears, 1 unit of javelin skirmishers. 

Left to paint are 5 units of infantry, the 2 bow armed skirmish units, and 2 command bases. 






While the 1066 Battle of Hastings will certainly be the main big battle I'll fight with my two armies, I also plan to cover much more. It took 3-5 years for the Normans to bring all the Anglo-Saxons in line and quail several rebellions. This should offer me plenty of fodder for campaigns with engagements of skirmishes up to pitched battles. 
Since I had my Saxons out I grabbed what if had done of my Norman cavalry. I set up could be a small rebel Saxon force about to receive a charge of Norman knights. I think the photos came out quite good and really got me motivated. 










No comments: