Sunday, January 1, 2023

Finished Anglo-Saxon/Danish Army

On Dec 31st 2022 I completed the last models for my Anglo-Saxon army. Since I have 2 units with Dane Axes I am calling the army and Anglo-Saxon/Danish army as it could be fielded as either. 

Composition:

 32 Armored Infantry with Dane Axes

64 Armored Infantry with Spears.

96 Unarmored Infantry with Spears.

12 Command models = 4 command bases.

18 Skirmishers with Javelins.

12 Skirmisher with Bows.

In the intended configuration as an Anglo-Danish army for Hastings for games like Hail Creaser it will consist of 3 divisions of 4 units, each unit consisting of 16 models. Based off of my research a good chunk of the army was armored Huscarls and Thegens from Herald and his Lords personal retainers. The rest of the army was local Fyrds gathered on the march.  I also painted up an Queen Æthelfled model so I could use them as a Mercian army from earlier.

Some people have asked me what what a completed army means, saying collections are never really done. While I might end up adding to it down the road I would call this 'Project' complete. 2 years ago I designed the army using Hail Creaser rules for battle of Hastings at a size I felt was playable on most tables. I then assembled that army and have finished painting every model for it as intended. So the project is completed even if the collection my continue to grow.

One thing I might added are new movement bases that are 40mm square with a steel sheet on top. Each model is individually based on 20mm bases with a magnet in the middle. I would then put them on the 40mm squares if I wanted a slightly different configuration. If I reduced each unit by 4 then I could build a 4th division with the extra minis to make the overall unit/division count higher. 














No comments: