Tuesday, September 20, 2022

New Painting Techniques.

 In an effort to improve my painting skill I am working on highlighting up a miniature using 1 paint that is increasingly lightened by adding white paint. I did a bit of this with the Zombie Ladies that turned out ok. I wanted to work on something more realistic and so will try skin. The goal is to give the model depth while blending the different layers together. For my first attempt I chose 3 nude female models as they offer lots of curves and crevasses that this technique is ideal for painting. I also kept a painting journal to track the mixture of each layer as I went. 

Here is the end result of my first attempt.








Overall I am not very happy with how it went. I struggled to blend each layer together and on the placement of shadows and highlights. Sometimes feeling like I was over highlighting or not doing enough. I ended up going over them with a Flesh Wash and then one last highlight layer. At tabletop level they look fine but I dont think they hold up very well close up. The end result is nude women who look dirty. However, as I plan to use them as objective markers (hostages to be rescued), maybe the dirty look works. I have a few more models to practice on and hope to improve. 


1 comment:

Dale said...

Yes, the wash left too many coffee stains. Glazes for shadows and highlights look better.